Who doesn’t love apple pie and to make it more moreish an addition of fresh or frozen berries.
2 1/2 cups/ 375 grams plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp caster sugar
2/3 cup / 160 ml olive oil
1 egg yolk
1 egg white, lightly whisked
4 large green apples, peeled, chopped
2 cups fresh or frozen berries
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup/ 115 grams caster sugar
1/2 cup water
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Combine the oil, egg yolk and 1/2 cup (125ml) of iced water. Stir into dry ingredients until combined. Knead until smooth. Divide into two portions, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Roll out one portion of pastry to line a 25cm round pie dish. Brush with egg white. Toss the apples in lemon juice. Add the sugar.
- Peel the apples and cut into pieces. Cook in a pan with the sugar and 1/2 cup water. Cook until apples are just soft. No need to thaw frozen berries, just add to the apples.
- Place the apples and mixed frozen berries in the pastry case. Roll out remaining pastry. Place over the apples. Press the edges to seal. Trim. Make 2 slits on top and decorate with leftover pastry. Brush with egg white. Sprinkle with a little extra sugar.
- Serve with a light dusting of icing sugar and vanilla ice cream.