Who doesn’t love the taste of fish and chips. I wanted to make battered fish that was not only tasty, but also light and not heavy.
250 grams flour, plus extra flour to coat the fish in.
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
300 mls soda water
salt a pinch
Vegetable oil , to deep fry
250 grams corn flour
700 grams any firm white fish fillets , cut into 4 pieces or smaller pieces
- Mix flour, corn flour, tumeric and pinch of salt.
Whisk in the soda water until you get a smooth batter.
Season fish with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, add extra flour and add seasoning, mix and than coat fish in flour and than shake off excess and than dip in batter.
- Add oil to a large saucepan or wok to reach a depth of 6-7 cm (it should be no more than one-third full). Heat to 190°C over medium-high heat (to test when oil is ready, a cube of bread turns golden brown in 30-35 seconds).
- Dip the fish in the batter and deep fry until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towel.
- You can either use store brought chips and cook them by packet directions or make your own chips.