Raspberry Slice is an old classic favourite I grew up with in New Zealand. It is made with two layers of shortbread filled with a layer of raspberry jam then covered in a creamy raspberry icing.
- 120 grams butter
- 1 egg
- 120 grams caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- Few drops of raspberry or strawberry essence
- red food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a slice tray with baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, than sifted dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together . Knead until the dough is smooth. Divide in half. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Spread jam over the bottom layer. Place other half of pastry on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool and ice with raspberry icing.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add butter and water to make it a smooth consistency. Add essence and red food colouring to a light pink colour