My take on Japanese Gyoza ( Dumplings)
These are so delectable and very easy dumplings to make. The wrappers can be purchased at most supermarkets or Asian stores. The only thing I had was folding them, but You Tube has great video to help with the folding.
- 1 1/2 cups of green cabbage, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 grams chicken mince
- 1 cup shallots, green part, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger , grated
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- packet round wonton (gyoza)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch/corn flour
- 2 packets round wonton/gyoza wrappers, available from woolworths supermarket
- soy sauce
- rice wine vinegar
- Combine cabbage and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. then set aside for 20 minutes to allow the cabbage to wilt sightly.
- Place remaining filling ingredients, including remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a large bowl. Squeeze out any excess water from the cabbage and add to the bowl.
- Use your hands to mix the filling.
- Sprinkle a baking tray with 1 tsp of cornstarch.
- Place 1 gyoza wrapper on your palm (left hand for right handed people) . Dip your finger in water and run it around the edge of half the goyza wrapper to seal.
- Place 1 slightly heaped tbsp of filling on the wrapper. Fold wrapper over and use your right hand assisted by your left hand thumb to create 4 pleats. Press to seal and place on the tray. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!