Pork and Prawn Spring rolls
For lovers of spring rolls, this is my version of the crunchy rolls filled with pork and prawn with a vegetable filling.
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp corn-starch
- 500 grams pork mince
- 1/2 cup raw prawn meat, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 stalk green onions, chopped
- ½ head of small cabbage, shredded fine
- 2 carrots, finely julienne cut
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp corn-starch
- ¼ cup water
- 20 spring roll wrappers, defrosted
- Oil for deep frying, about ½ litre to 1 litre
- In a large bowl combine the soy sauce, corn-starch, rice wine, pepper. Add the pork mince and mix well. Let marinate for 10 minutes (or up to overnight in the fridge.) Heat large wok or deep fry pan over high heat. Add 1 tsp oil and stir fry the pork mince until browned and cooked. Add the raw prawn meat and cook till prawns cooked, then set aside in a bowl.
- Clean out pan, add oil and cook garlic, spring onion and ginger for 30 secs. Add julienne carrot & cabbage. Cook till carrot is soft. Add the mince back into the veg and then add 2 tbsp oyster sauce, mix to combine then put onto a tray to cool completely. Make a slurry out of the corn- starch and water (glue to stick the spring roll together).
- Keep spring roll wrappers covered with a damp cloth to stop them drying out. Take one wrapper at a time and put 2 tbsp of filling in the middle and wrap up the roll and use the slurry to seal the ends, then put on a tray sealed side down.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep pan to 180 C, slide in the spring rolls a few at a time in the oil to fry. Turn the rolls occasionally to brown evenly and fry for about 3 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Repeat with the remaining.