I love to make and eat Chinese take out recipes at home. I have found many different food blogs that have great recipes and they are not as hard to make. It is satisfying to know that these recipes are quick and great tasting and they have become family favourites.
This is a balanced and not too sweet dish which complements the roasted cashews.
500grams or 2 large skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 Tbsp water
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp canola oil
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp hoisin sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp honey
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- Rest of dish
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup red capscium
1/2 cup spring onions, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 cup unsalted cashews, dry roast in a pan for 3-5 minutes
2 Tbsp cornstarch,( mixed with 2 Tbsp water)
- In a bowl , mix the chicken , 3 tablespoons water, 2 teaspoons oyster sauce and 1/8 teaspoon white pepper. Set aside for 10-15 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed by the chicken. Lastly mix in 1 teaspoon canola oil and 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat your wok on high heat. Spread 2 tablespoons canola oil along the perimeter of the wok. Add the marinated chicken, spreading the pieces evenly in the wok. Fry for 1 minute on each side and transfer back to the bowl. Do not over crowd wok, cook the chicken in batches if need to. Set chicken aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the wok, add the ginger, fry for 5 seconds, before adding the garlic. Immediately add the red capscium and stir fry of r30 seconds.
- Next add the spring onions, spread the Shaoxing wine around the perimeter and quickly stir fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the sauce mixture into the wok and then add the chicken and any juices . Once everything comes to a simmer, add the roasted cashews. Add the cornstarch slurry to the wok, it should thicken up quite quickly. Plate and serve immediately.