Donna’s mixed spice and ginger Steam Pudding
A lovely steam pudding with tastes of mixed spice and ginger. An old family favourite.
- Burnt sugar
½ cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
- Pudding Mixture
1 ½ cups white sugar
250 grams butter, softened
1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
1 ¼ cups plain flour
3 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp mixed spice
3 large eggs, mixed
- Burnt Sugar
- In a pot add the sugar and allow the sugar to melt and turn into a brown caramel. Do not stir the sugar in the pot, just allow it to melt, but keep an eye on it as it can burn very quickly. Once it is at a dark brown colour, remove from the stove and set aside. Then add the 1 cup of boiling hot water to the caramel. Mix and leave it aside, while you make the pudding.
- In a bowl add the softened butter and sugar, beat with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time making sure they are mixed well.
- Add the flours and the spices and mix just to all combined. Add the cooled burnt sugar to the mixture and mix till just combined.
- Have a large pot, filled halfway with simmering water. Put the pudding mixture into a pudding bowl, that fits into the pot. I used a calico bag which I filled with the pudding mixture. I then tied the top, leaving room for the pudding to expand while cooking. Make sure you have a lid to put on the pot or foil would do. Make sure the foil covers the pot. Cook this on a medium simmer for 2 hours.
- When the pudding is cooked. Remove from the bag or tin and put pudding onto a plate. Serve this with hot custard and cream or ice cream.