Mexican Chicken Soup
This is my take on an Mexican inspired chicken soup. With the inclusion of the black beans and the Mexican style beans this is a very filling soup.
- 2 chicken breast fillets, or cooked chicken shredded
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 425 gram tin Mexican style beans
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup/ 160g drained canned or thawed or frozen corn kernels
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 420 gram can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- Place the chicken breast in a large saucepan. Pour over the stock. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a heat proof bowl. Set aside .Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add the rest of the stock to the pan and 2 cups water. Bring the stock to a boil. Add the shredded chicken to the pan. Add the onion, garlic and spices, along with the Mexican bean mix the black beans and corn kernels. Cook for 30 minutes on a simmer until the soup thickens slightly.
- Check seasoning and serve in bowls with crusty bread.