I love bread rolls, but also like a sweet and savoury filling. Here I made the apple and red onion filling to encase the bread roll.
300 mls warm water
3 tsp active dried yeast
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp oil
1 egg, to coat tops of rolls
1/2 cup grated cheese to put on top of rolls (optional)
4 green apples, peeled, chopped, cut into small pieces
1 red onion, cut into small pieces
- In a jug add the warm water, sugar and sprinkle yeast on top. Mix together and leave to sit for 5 minutes or when the yeast has frothed.
- Filling- peel and cut apples and red onion. In a pot put apples and 2 Tbsp water and cook apples on medium high heat and cook for 10-15 minutes, or till apples are soft.
- In a small fry pan, add 1 tsp oil and cook onion on medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- In a large bowl or electric mixer with dough hook. Add flour and salt. Add yeast mixture and mix all until dough comes together. If making by hand, knead for five minutes, or using a electric mixer, with dough hook, mix for 10 minutes until dough is nice and smooth. Roll into a ball.
- Remove from mixer and in a lightly oiled bowl, put dough in , cover with cling wrap and place in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- When dough has doubled in size, knock down dough and remove from bowl. Cut the dough into 6 rounds. Roll out dough into small hot dog lengths. Add apple and onion about 2 tablespoonfuls, roll dough to enclose the filling. Do this until all ball are filled.
- On a baking tray , lined with baking paper put rolls on to tray. Cover with a cling wrap and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Put egg in a dish and whisk. Brush egg wash onto tops of bread rolls. I sprinkled some grated cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a nice golden color.
- Hope you give these a try. You don’t have to use this filling. Use what filling you like.