Chicken Schnitzel Burgers
For an dinner with a difference, instead of your normal burgers make chicken schnitzel burgers with homemade or store brought buns, homemade coleslaw and a side of fries.
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved , pound gently to flatten
- 90 grams panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg, slightly whisked
- vegetable oil for shallow frying
- coleslaw, either homemade or store brought
- Use a sharp , cut breast in half horizontally. Place fillets between glad wrap and gently pound with a rolling pin. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and lemon zest in a large bowl. Place flour on a plate. Whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water in a separate bowl. Dip chicken in flour to lightly dust. Dip in egg , then dip in breadcrumb mix, pressing lightly to coat. Place on a tray and put into the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Either make your coleslaw or use store brought. Season with salt and pepper. Add dressing and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large fry pan. Heat enough oil to cover the base. Place in pan, cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate, lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Place cut buns and toast in pan. Top with coleslaw. Cut schnitzel in half and top with extra dressing. Serve immediately. Serve with fries.