German Hazelnut Cookies
A light , buttery cookie packed with chopped hazelnuts.
1 cup whole hazelnuts
1/4 cup sugar
113 grams unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F/160C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper
- Chop hazelnuts in a food processor. Do not over chop. Reserve 1/4 cup of hazelnuts to sprinkle on top of the cookies.
- Place softened butter, sugar, vanilla in a stand mixer and beat until pale and fluffy. Can use a handmixer if you don’t have a standmixer.
- Add egg yolk and mix again. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl, so everything is mixed together.
- Sift flour and salt into cookie mixture. Mix on low until just combined. Add 3/4 cup hazelnuts and mix until just combined.
- Roll the dough into 12 balls and place onto prepared trays. Using a fork, press down on the cookie a couple of times to flatten it out. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on the tops, you may need to press the nuts gently into the cookie.
- Bake cookies for about 15-20 minutes. Check at the 15 minutes stage. The cookies are cooked when the edges are slightly browned on the edges.