Great tasting carrot cake with coconut and pecans. Most icing are the normal cream cheese icing, but I decided that just fresh whipped cream and icing on top, makes for a nice change. But if you want to you could just ice with the cream cheese icing.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 250 grams cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- few drops of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/350 F. Butter 2 8″round tin and make sure to line the bottom.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the cinnamon.
- Beat the eggs, add the sugar. Add the flour mixture to egg mixture. Add the oil and vanilla. Stir until combined. Stir in grated carrot, coconut and finally the chopped pecans. Mix well and pour mixture evenly into the two tins. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is no longer moist in the centre and the cake pulls away from the sides. Allow to cool in tins for 5 minutes. Remove from tins and than cool on cake rack.
- To make frosting. Beat the cream cheese and butter and few drops of vanilla extract until they are completely mixed. Add icing sugar until it is a spreadable consistency. Frost cake and add whole or chopped pecans on top.