Lemon Layer Cake
This lemon layer cake is so moist with the addition of the lemon syrup makes this a very moist and lemon flavoured cake with a cream cheese frosting.
- 225 grams butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest, grated
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
Cream cheese frosting
- 250 gram cream cheese, softened
- 125 grams butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line bottoms of two 8 inch round baking tins with baking paper and baking spray.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon zest and juice. In a small bowl mix the sour cream and milk. In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk sour cream mixture to the cream mixture.
- Transfer to prepared tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Make the syrup in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, cook until liquid is reduced by half. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting , beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in icing sugar, lemon juice and salt until blended. Add more icing sugar if needed.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Brush layers with a good amount of warm syrup, cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate, spread frosting and smooth. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Can top with lemon slices if liked and enjoy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!