Lemon magic cake
A lemon cake that transforms into three layers. A great tasting cake that to me tastes like a lemony custard centre and soft top. Add a dusting of icing sugar on the top and enjoy.
- 4 eggs, room temperature, separate yolks from whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 grams sugar
- 115 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 90 grams all purpose flour
- 425 mls milk, lukewarm
- 60 grams lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- icing sugar for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 325F/160C . Grease a 8″ x 8″ baking dish or line it with baking paper
- Separate egg yolks and whites. Put egg whites into a bowl and with a hand mixer, beat until egg whites are stiff. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light. Add butter and vanilla and continue beating for another minute or two and slowly add the flour and mix it until fully incorporated.
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest then slowly add the milk and beat until everything is well mixed together. Add the egg whites, a third at a time and gently fold them in using a spatula of whisk, repeat until all egg whites are folded in, but there should still be white bits of egg whites floating in the batter.
- Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 40-70 minutes or until the top is lightly golden and the cake is firm to the touch. The baking time could vary greatly depending on the oven. Check cake after 40 minutes and see how it looks.
- Sprinkle icing sugar after cake has cooled.