A light and tasty coconut slice with the taste of orange zest and sour cream and the tasty coconut frosting.
125 grams/4 1/2 oz unsalted butter
225 grams/8 oz golden caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
finely grated zest of 1 orange
3 Tbsp orange juice
150 mls/5 fl oz sour cream
140 grams /5 oz self raising flour
85 grams/3 oz desiccated coconut
about 1 tsp orange juice
- Preheat oven 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Spray and line with baking paper a 23cm x 9 inch square cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, then gradually beat in the eggs. Stir in the orange zest, orange juice and sour cream. Fold in the flour and desiccated coconut evenly using a metal spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a cake rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, lightly beat the egg white, just enough to break it up, and stir in the icing sugar and desiccated coconut, adding enough orange juice to mix to thick paste. Spread over the top of the cake, sprinkle with toasted shredded coconut then leave to set before slicing into bars.