Vietnamese Caramel Chicken
A tasty Vietnamese caramel chicken, slow cooked with pickled carrot and herb salad served with steamed rice.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 800 g boneless chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4 cm cubes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- steamed rice to serve
- 1 heaped cup of carrot strips
- 1 long red chili, sliced
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- Make the pickled carrot and herb salad. Combine the carrot, chilies, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside for about an hour. When ready to serve, use your hands to squeeze excess liquid from the carrots and chillies. In a bowl, toss the carrots and chillies with the coriander and mint.
- Place the brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of water in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for a minute or until sugar dissolves and a caramel sauce forms. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Stir through the chicken stock. Then add the garlic, fish sauce, and white pepper. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every so often. Use a spoon to scoop off any chicken fat from the sides of the pan. Then continue simmering for another 30 minutes or until the sauce is thick and glossy.
Pickled carrot and herb salad
Chicken cooking in the pan until sugar is dissolved and a caramel sauce forms.
You must be logged in to post a comment.