Nectarine and Apple Galette
This nectarine galette is so easy to make. It can be made with store brought pastry or homemade. I found this recipe for a sweet-tart pastry, made with vinegar and sour cream. It is quite an easy pastry to make by hand. Use whatever fruit you like or whatever is in season.
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 250 grams plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 125 grams unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 3 medium nectarines, skin on, sliced, or any type of fruit you like
- For the pastry, combine vinegar and a quarter cup of iced water in a jug. Place the flour in a large bowl with sugar, vanilla bean paste, and a pinch of salt flakes.Add butter and toss to coat, then rub into the flour mixture, leaving some larger pieces ( this will make the pastry nice and flaky)Stir in the sour cream, then gradually add the vinegar mixture, bringing the dough together with your hands ( don't add extra water- the dough will be quite shaggy, but will come together once chilled). Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead.Wrap in glad wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before using.
- Take the chilled pastry out and roll into a rectangle or round shape. Leave a border to fold the pastry over once the fruit is arranged on the pastry case. Fold the pastry over the fruit. Sprinkle with some demarera sugar.Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 30 minutes or until a nice golden colour.Allow cooling for 5 minutes on the tray. Cut into 8 pieces and serve with vanilla ice cream.
They say you should always add just a little bit of vinegar in a pie crust helps to soften gluten in the flour so it doesn’t get too tough and chewy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!