This is a nice white loaf, that not only tastes great, it is easy to make.
makes 1 loaf
10 minutes + first rise 1 hr, than 2nd rise 1 hr.
500 grams strong white bread flour
310 grams tepid water
45 grams/3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp/ 7 grams active yeast
1 tsp/8 grams salt
- Add flour , salt and yeast into a bowl and mix together with a whisk.
- In a stand mixer add the water and oil. Turn the machine on at it’s lowest setting with dough hook attachment. Spoon in flour mixture gradually. Mix in stand mixer for 10 minutes.
If done by hand, add all ingredients to a bowl and partially mix all together. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Turn out dough and form into a ball and place into a lightly oiled bowl, cover the bowl and let it rise for 1 hour, ( should be doubled in size.) could take longer, depending on the temperature of your kitchen.
- Grease a large loaf tin with butter or lard.
- After the lst rise turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knock back the dough for a minute and form into a log shape. Place dough into loaf tin. Sprinkle dough with a little flour, cover with a light weight cloth and let it rise a second time for 1hour.
15 minutes before end of second rise, preheat oven 200 C. Place a pan of hot water on the bottom shelf. (creates a steamy atmosphere, that makes bread crispy). Also a spray bottle of water.
- Once dough has risen, sprinkle a little more flour on top and score the top. Give a quick spray of water and cook for 30 minutes or 40-45 minutes for a harder crust.