Beef mince pie with cheese
This is my take on beef pie with cheese baked in my pie maker. Not only do they taste great, they take less time than a conventional oven and less mess.
- 1 kg beef mince
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock or water
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 egg
- home made or store brought short crust pastry and puff pastry, about 3 sheets each
- In a large non-stick frypan heat on high heat. Add mince, cook until all meat is cooked about 5 -10 minutes. Add onion and garlic, cook till onions soft. Add tomato paste, mix well into mince. Add Worcestershire sauce, stock or water. Season to taste. Bring to a boil, than lower to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes and some of the liquid has evaporated.
- You can always add more stock or water and if you want a gravy in the mince. Make a easy quick slurry of 2 tsp cornflour and 2 tsp water, mix together and add to mince to thicken mince. Allow the mince to cool.
- Assembling pies. Preheat pie maker. If baking in a pie maker, add pastry bottom, mince mix two thirds full and top with cheese. Add top and seal. Brush egg wash over top. Cook for 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve these pies on their own or with mashed potato and green vegetables or salad.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!