Sticky Toffee Cake
A lovely tasting sticky toffee cake with a toffee sauce icing.
- 175g/6oz stoned dated, chopped
- 175 mls /6fl oz boiling water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 85grams/3 oz butter
- 140 grams/5 oz caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 175 grams /6 oz self raising flour
- 85 grams /3 oz light brown sugar
- 40 grams/ 1 1/2 oz butter
- 2 Tbsp single cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm/8 inch square cake tin.
- Put the dates in a small pan with the boiling water and baking soda. Heat gently for about 5 minutes, without boiling, until the dates are soft.
- Using a standmixer, cream the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and date mixture.
- Fold in the flour using a metal spoon, mixing evenly. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until firm to the touch and just starting to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
- For the toffee sauce , combine the brown sugar, butter and cream in a saucepan and heat gently until dissolved. Simmer gently, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and prick all over the surface with a skewer or fork. Pour the hot toffee sauce evenly over the surface. Leave it to cool in the tin, then cut into squares.