Sticky Toffee Cake
A lovely tasting sticky toffee cake with a toffee sauce icing.
- 175g/6oz stoned dated, chopped
- 175 mls /6fl oz boiling water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 85grams/3 oz butter
- 140 grams/5 oz caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 175 grams /6 oz self raising flour
- 85 grams /3 oz light brown sugar
- 40 grams/ 1 1/2 oz butter
- 2 Tbsp single cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm/8 inch square cake tin.
- Put the dates in a small pan with the boiling water and baking soda. Heat gently for about 5 minutes, without boiling, until the dates are soft.
- Using a standmixer, cream the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and date mixture.
- Fold in the flour using a metal spoon, mixing evenly. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until firm to the touch and just starting to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
- For the toffee sauce , combine the brown sugar, butter and cream in a saucepan and heat gently until dissolved. Simmer gently, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and prick all over the surface with a skewer or fork. Pour the hot toffee sauce evenly over the surface. Leave it to cool in the tin, then cut into squares.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!