When growing up in New Zealand we used to buy these from the school tuck shop. Great tasting with fruit and icing.
3 ozs plain flour
5 fluid ounces warm milk
1 tsp caster sugar
2 tsp active dry yeast
6 ozs plain flour
1 oz butter, melted, allow to cool slightly
1 oz caster sugar
1 egg, lightly whisked
1 tsp mixed spice
1/4 cup each of sultanas and cranberries
1 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp butter
2-3 tsp water, more if your icing is too stiff
desiccated coconut, sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 200 C , grease a 6 inch deep cake tin.
- Combine all the batter ingredients in a bowl, beat until smooth and leave in a warm place until it goes frothy. About 5-10 minutes.
- Add all the dough ingredients to the batter and stir until smooth. Pour batter into the tin, cover and leave until doubled in size. About 30 minutes. This will all depend on how warm a day you are making this.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Turn out onto wire rack and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, add icing sugar, butter and water and mix all together until a smooth icing. If too stiff add water, 1 tsp at a time. When bun is cold, spread icing on top and sprinkle coconut on top.
Eat as is , or halve and put butter on on side.