My take on Japanese Milk Bread made into hot dog buns
Delicious soft Japanese milk bread made with “Yudane” method and then shaped into hot dog buns. they are called Koppepan. I have made these a few times now and love how soft they are. I even used this method to make cream buns, which were very nice. By no means am I a expert, but I thoroughly enjoy trying new breads from other countries. It is not hard to make, so give these a try.
50 grams bread flour
40 mls boiling hot water 194 degrees or 90C
- Bread dough
80 mls milk
20 grams sugar
1 large egg, beaten lightly
2-5 grams instant dry yeast
200 grams bread flour
25 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
5 grams salt
- Make the Yudane the night before. Place bread flour in a bowl and add boiling hot water and mix well. When the Yudane has cooled down wrap with cling wrap or keep in a airtight container to refrigerate overnight.
- Place the room temperature milk into a stand mixer. Add the beaten egg, sugar, instant dry yeast, to the bowl then add small pieces of the yudane. Add the bread flour and salt.
- Mix the mixture in the stand mixer for 10 minutes. Add the room temperature butter and mix for another 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough round and shape into a ball and place the dough into a greased bowl. Cover with cling wrap. Let it rise in a warm place for 45minutes to 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Test if the dough has risen by dusting your finger with flour and poke the dough. If the dough doesn’t bounce back and the hole you poked stays there, it is ready.
- Punch the dough down and cut the dough into 8 equal parts with scraper and roll them .
- Cover the rolled dough with a wet cloth and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Flatten the rolled dough with your palm and roll out the dough to about 6 inches ( 15cm) long oval with a rolling pin.
- Rotate the dough 90degrees and fold in 1/3 top edge to the centre. Then fold in the other side to the centre. Fold them in half and seal it. Roll to shape neatly with your hands.
- Do the same shaping for the rest of the rolled dough.
- Place the shaped dough onto a baking tray, cover it with a wet cloth and let the dough rise for a second time until doubles in size.
- Start to preheat the oven to 200 C //393F
- Gently brush milk on each dough.
- Bake dough for about 10 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Remove the bread from the baking tray and cool it down on a wire rack.